Beauty | #ProjectBareAll

Earlier this week I came across Megan from Thumbelina Lillie and her project #ProjectBareAll on Twitter.  What a lovely idea and way to embrace natural beauty. I felt inspired to get involved. So, here it is. As Megan pointed out her in post - we are all the same and we shouldn't be afraid to put it out there. It's silly when I think about it now but I wouldn't leave the house to go to the corner shop without any makeup on.

Every since I was a teenager my skin was dry and spotty. Around the same time, I got into wearing makeup to cover up. When I look back I cringe at the amount I caked on my face. Yes, I'd slap a thick layer of foundation that was 2 shades too darker on every morning on my way to school and never thought about blending it into my neck.  I was young and clueless to say the least but that's acceptable.

Throughout the high school years, my skin's acne was mild but apparent in my head. I started to wear it more and more. It went to an all girls school so there was no boys to impress. I was never teased and bullied for the way my skin looked. It was my own lack of self esteem and confidence that contributed. To this day, I'm still not sure where that came from, but my teenage years were difficult and lots of things in my life negatively impacted on my confidence as a young adult. Applying makeup and changing the way I look gave me a since of control over something. Without it, I felt weird and lacked that feel good factor for my au natural look. I just didn't like the way I looked without it.       

Now, I'm in my mid twenties. Much has changed: I know what shades of foundation suit me, and how to apply it well! I'm a grown up now. My skin hasn't changed. All those people who told me that I'd grow out of acne - you lied! I still break out regularly. With my full time job, I work with young teenage students who honestly have better skin than me. The pressure I put on myself to look good in front my students is silly really. But, as a role model to them, I want to look the part. It's the expectation I've put on myself. Therefore, I must change the way I view myself inside out.

"Dig deep into that fabulous mind and pull out all the positive things you love about yourself" - That's something I need to say to myself on days when I feel like I'm having an 'ugly day' (see even there I'm being negative). I know that the key to changing a mindset is all about positive behaviour. There is no overnight cure though I am willing to slowly change how I view the inside.  It's important to note that we all look different and should embrace our uniqueness. However, physiological we all work the same. Some of us have more freckles than others, more moles, and regular breakouts them some.

There is more in life to be thankful for, and that's my health. If I feel healthy, then I will look healthier. That's not just about being physically healthy, but also about being mentally strong. The emotional impact of being negative all the time plays a huge part. We will always moan about something that we do not like about ourselves. Wearing makeup should feel like a choice, not an everyday necessity

You might be reading this post thinking well there's some people that are naturally beautiful without make up and some who definitely need it. I would challenge that way of thinking and ask you to consider that perception very carefully. I must have some confidence somewhere to post this in the first place so that's something for me to hold onto.

Please check out Megan's post and her fabulous blog! Show us your an natural selfie and use the hashtag #ProjectBareAll .Go and follow her on Twitter!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
https://www.facebook.com/RagerWagerBeautyBlog?ref=hlhttps://twitter.com/RagerWagerhttps://plus.google.com/+RachelWagerhttp://instagram.com/ragerwagerbeautybloghttp://www.pinterest.com/rachelwager/
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...