Beauty | Confessions of a Blogger TAG



Today, I have really enjoyed reading up on the ‘Confessions of a Blogger’ TAG. Although I have not been tagged personally, I think it’s a good TAG for followers/readers to get to know you more, and gain insight into you as a blogger.
10 Questions…

When did you first start blogging and why?
My first online blogging experience actually started on Tumblr in 2011 under the name ‘Beauty Critique’. Later on, I discovered that someone else had a blog under that name so I decided to shut it down. There was something about the platform that I did not like for blogging. I moved my blog to Blogger in October 2012. Then, I changed the name to Rager Wager Beauty Blog (combining my nickname and blog focus together) making it more personalised for me.

Starting the blog was something that I had debated to myself for a long time (not many people know this). I built up the confidence to start on Tumblr after watching so many of my favourite Youtuber’s online develop their knowledge and network of friends. I’ve always been interested in beauty products and the industry. As a teenager, I was told that it wouldn’t pay as a future career and my ‘talents’ would be better spent in supporting people. Nonetheless, it’s better late than never!            

Have you had any past online presence?
Before my blog, I had very little presence online regarding blogging and such. In late teens, I was always a late bloomer to social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and even Google+. Occasionally, I would Google myself to see what my ‘Digital Footprint’ looked like. It used to freak my out when I see searches related to me. I was very much into MSN Messenger for quite some time. How times have changed, eh! That said, even now I’ve chosen not to join some social networking sites. In my full time job, I see the negativities all the time – mainly cyber bullying. But now, I am learning to embrace that having an online presence isn’t such a bad thing, as long as it isn’t abused.

When did you become serious about your blog?
To be honest, only within the last year or so have I thought about making something out of it. Blogging is just a hobby for me that I enjoy. Recently, I have begun tracking my readers and where my audience is coming from as it’s fascinating. Reflecting back, before coming across people on YouTube, I didn’t even know that blogs like this existed. I felt quite ignorant in that respect. However, as I have progressed with blogging, so has the use of social media. I have even noticed beauty bloggers such as Fleur de Force and Tanya Blurr being featured more in national UK and international magazines.

What was your first blog post?
On Tumblr I vaguely remember starting my blog with something like an introduction or welcome post. Looking back, I should have just started it with a product review or a post to engaged bloggers from the start.
On Blogger, my first blog was on the September 2012 Glossy Box. In fact, watching videos on YouTube about beauty reviews is what first introduced me to the concept on Beauty Boxes. Then I watched reviews on them, and wanted to review them myself online.

What have been your biggest challenges blogging?
With all hobbies, you need to be able to find the time to schedule it in. Just like going to the gym, or planning an exercise routine, I found it difficult at first to prioritize when to blog and what on.  Having a full time job means that I am fully dedicated and tied up during the day. So, I have started using a small notebook to write things down when I have the time, or if something pops into my head. My memory for thing is shocking so this method works well for me.  

Blogging is not just about writing posts, reviewing products, fitting it around your day; it’s also about networking with others. Therefore, I use my diary to schedule in online chats and opportunities for networking. For example, on Twitter, there are #bbloggerchats that go live on Wednesdays and Sunday evenings. Mainly on a Sunday, I try to take part in these so I arrange my Sunday evenings around this.

What is the most rewarding thing about blogging?
I love interacting with fellow beauty bloggers but also the wider blogging community. On Twitter, I enjoy tweeting and following other bloggers and commenting on their views. Being a blogger, I know it’s such a good feeling when someone uses their time to take an interest in something you’re doing. And, vice versa. Although I’m not blogging to gain followers, it’s rewarding to see that the interest of my blog continues to grow.

What is the most discouraging thing about blogging?
There isn’t much that has discouraged me about blogging. However, it really ‘grinds me gears’ when people stereotype you have the amount of followers you have. I know that my bank on followers is small, but the number of people accessing and reaching my blog is in the thousands. It’s something that I do not like shout out about as this is just a hobby after all. Obviously, I am not native to enough to think that people would not make judgements on my blog and my opinions. However, it is exactly what this blog is about and I would rather than then to be thought less of because of the quantity of followers over quality of posts. You need thick skin and guts to do something like this. It takes strength and motivation to see through the trolls, but also take into account some feedback.

What is your last inspiration or motivation?
My motivation comes from reading other bloggers all around the world. I have been inspired by other bloggers to write this post (even though I haven’t been tagged to do so) because I enjoy writing them. Every time I read I post, I automatically start thinking about my thoughts and responses, and think I should write that down quickly. Following Beauty Bloggers on YouTube was my first spark of inspiration which still stands today. I admire the resilience and envy their creatively to pursue their hobbies into full time careers.  

What is your current goal as a blogger?
Perhaps in the next couple of months, I would like to extend my presence on social media and move onto YouTube. Something that like for me needs guts, and spontaneity. I have already started looking into the things. Currently, I am in the process on gather equipment, which does not come cheaply, but it’ll be worth it in the end (hopefully).

I hope you have enjoyed reading this post, and getting to know more about me. I will continue to read these tags as they’re interesting! If you decided to do this post, please let me know in the comments below!  I’d love to read them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
https://www.facebook.com/RagerWagerBeautyBlog?ref=hlhttps://twitter.com/RagerWagerhttps://plus.google.com/+RachelWagerhttp://instagram.com/ragerwagerbeautybloghttp://www.pinterest.com/rachelwager/
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...